Director of Entrepreneurial Development
Reports to: Senior Vice President – Entrepreneurial Development
Effective Date: 9/1/22
Salary Range $65,000 – $70,000
Contact: Rae McElroy, EDAWN COO/Director HR firstname.lastname@example.org
The Director of Entrepreneurial Development is responsible for the development, management, and support of mission-critical activities within the EDAWN Entrepreneurial Team, including community partnerships, startup community best practices, and programs in support of building a robust entrepreneurial ecosystem. In addition to program management, the individual is responsible for fiscal management, budgeting, marketing, and for being the external face of specific programs in the department.
The overarching objective of this role is to contribute to the development of a robust, diverse, and thriving entrepreneurial ecosystem. The key activities of this role are: 1) develop, implement, and support programs, 2) steward early-stage startup teams through the entrepreneurial journey, 3) developing a “nurturing” community around entrepreneurs, startups, and investors, and 4) tracking and reporting success and ensuring long term program sustainability.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF THE MISSION OF EDAWN
The Economic Development Authority of Western Nevada (EDAWN) is committed to adding quality jobs to the region by recruiting new companies, supporting the success of existing companies, and assisting newly forming companies, to diversify the economy and have a positive impact on the quality of life in Greater Reno-Sparks.
In 2012 EDAWN created the Entrepreneurial Development team to help local startups find the resources they need to start, run, and grow. The team’s entrepreneurial initiatives are 1) Catalyze – Support the creation of innovative programs and events which support entrepreneurs, 2) Communicate – Tell the stories of entrepreneurs in our community, 3) Connect – Remove friction in the ecosystem through thoughtful curated connections, and 4) Convene – Bring stakeholders together to break down barriers and create collaborative solutions. 5) Attract – Recruit high potential startups from outside the region to join the Reno ecosystem. The entrepreneurial team’s Core Values are Entrepreneur First, Raise the Bar, Make an Impact, Cultural Stewardship and Be of Service.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Catalyze and support programs and strategies to further the development of a robust entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Curate signature events throughout the year designed to foster dialogue amongst the startup, tech, and investor community.
- Work with local incubators, accelerators, and other entrepreneurial support organizations to grow in the region and diversify our economy through new venture creation
- Assist local entrepreneurs and startups through their growth process
- Develop and manage program budgets
- Promote the entrepreneurial efforts and successes in the region through earned media, press announcements, and events.
- Manage consultants and partners
- Determine the needs of the community and research existing best practices
- Develop key contacts within the community and industry
- Participate in local entrepreneurial, startup, and tech events
- Help with startup attraction efforts through community tours and recruiting events
- Perform other duties/special projects as assigned
- Assist other business development, investor development, and organizational efforts as needed.
- Strong Project Management Skills – proven accountability for, and successful delivery of, complex projects able to effectively influence cross-functional teams and key decisions/business outcomes.
- Strong Leadership and People Skills – ability to collaborate with people across organizational levels and sectors, and experience fostering a collaborative environment.
- Entrepreneurship Experience – including the innovation landscape, the startup process, the fundraising process, content expertise, etc., developed through prior professional, personal, or academic experience.
- Expertise working with startups through various programs and activities
- Strong Partnership Development Skills – Create lasting value through trusted relationships.
- Strong Communication Skills, both written and verbal, including public speaking, promote thought leadership and establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the organization and with outside constituencies.
- Knowledge and networks specifically related to entrepreneurs, startups, and investors.
- Knowledge of entrepreneurial ecosystems, the entrepreneurial journey, startup creation fundamentals, and venture capital financing.